Saturday, February 27, 2010

Book Review - The Lovely Bones


SPOILER ALERT A book I recently read was The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold. This book was about a fourteen year-old girl named Susie Salmon who was murdered in a cornfield, by one of her neighbors. The story is told from Susie's perspective in Heaven. In Susie's afterlife, everything is perfect. But, on earth, her killer– Mr. Harvey –still hasn't been caught. Mr. Harvey had killed many other young girls and women before, never being caught. While Susie is in Heaven, over the years, she watches her family fall apart. Her father becomes suspicious of Mr. Harvey, getting injured in the process of finding evidence. Her mother leaves the family for a while and Susie's sister, Lindsey, helps their father to raise their brother Buckley. After their mother left them, their Grandma Lynn came to take care of them. In the end Lindsey was the one to break into Mr. Harvey's house, to find any trace of evidence. Mr. Harvey comes home to realize someone had been there, and he left town. More years passed and the Salmon family slowly started to heal and Susie began to feel at peace. Still, Mr. Harvey was not caught. In an attempt to get a teenager into his car, he slipped and fell. Mr. Harvey then died, and Susie could finally spend her afterlife in peace, family members eventually joining her.

In my opinion, The Lovely Bones was an amazing and heart wrenching book. I did cry a few times while reading the book and seeing the movie. The book was just so sad! I love any books that can make me cry, though. The Lovely Bones was a book that I just COULD'NT put down, with the exception of school. I would reccomend this book to tweens and above. I have to say though, this book was a bit too grown up for me probably. Still, this book really opened my eyes to what really happens around us each day. And I'm really grateful for the people who try to make young people realize this situation.

My Rating: ✮✮✮✮✮

3 comments:

Izzy said...

Great review, I loved the the movie and the book was amazing as well. :)

© John Warwick Arden said...

Lovely review! I like hearing how the book made you feel. Very brave. Well done!

Gabbii said...

I love you sis! so proud...You always did have a thing for bookies!! :) love ya! Nice blog...I actually read it! :p Now go look at my page too!! :)))))