Saturday, February 27, 2010

Book Review - Beautiful Creatures

SPOILER ALERT Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl is about a small town highschool boy named Ethan Wate. When Old Man Ravenwood's niece, Lena, comes to town and starts going to the highschool, she's seen as a loner. She doesn't wear the right clothes, doesn't have a tan and she's the niece of Old Man Ravenwood. Mr. Ravenwood has a big, old house and of course, it is referred to as the "Haunted House." Right before Lena arrives in town, Ethan began to have strange dreams. In the dreams, he's falling and trying to hold on to the girl's hand who is falling with him too. But, he doesn't know who the girl is. When he meets Lena, she's not exactly open to him, but eventually he earns her trust and they become friends. Gradually, their friendship turns into something more and they begin to have feelings for eachother. Lena then tells Ethan a secret she has never told any Mortal before. She's a Caster, and so is the rest of her family. Ethan is very understanding about who Lena is and actually helps her find the Book of Moons. The Book of Moons had been lost and was filled with powerful spells. But, there is something that Lena is dreading. Her sixteenth birthday. That is the day that she will be Claimed. Light or Dark. Lena is convinced that she will go Dark, because her mother, Sarafine, is the most powerful Dark Caster of all time. Once it's finally her birthday, her mother pays her a visit. When Sasrafine stabs Ethan, he begins to slowly die. Then, Lena does a spell to bring him back, forgetting that you must give something in return for a life. In the end, though, she is not Claimed. Yet.

I thought that Beautiful Creatures was an amazing book! The whole story is just so creative and I liked how during the story, the authors put in parts from the past. I think that the History of Gatlin is really interesting too. My favorite character in Beautiful Creatures is Ethan. He doesn't judge Lena for who she is and he sticks by Lena even when he doesn't want to. He always does his best to protect Lena as a Mortal. I absolutely loved the book and all of the characters. I also really like the names chosen for the characters! I think that the authors did a great job of creating this story and they left me wanting to read more! I would recommend Beautiful Creatures to anyone over the age of ten. This book is really interesting and I think that anyone who reads it will like it.
My Rating: ✯✯✯✯

13 comments:

Selene said...

Awesome review! Love your blog design. Would love to hear more from you. Have bookmarked your blog now. :-)

katsrus said...

Hi hon. Found you through your mom on Facebook & Twitter. Love the colors of your blog. Great reviews on both books.

Sue B

test said...

Well done! Congrats on your new blog adventure. I look forward to more from you, I'm follower for sure. I think reading and writing are the gifts that keep on giving.

I ♥ Books said...

Thank you all so much!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the blog, It is lovely.
Even though I am a little grown, still looking forward to reading this book. The review you wrote sparked my interest. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your review and I love the cover! Many blessings!

keivamp said...

Wow...Great review. Might have to have you review my novels.

I ♥ Books said...

Thank you for all of your nice comments! Eternity's End?, I would love to review your novels if they're appropiate for ages ten through thirteen. If they are, then you can contact my mom, Jo Lynne Valerie.

Nadia Romanov said...

Very impressive blog! I loved your reviews of these books, and have now suggested them to my daughter to read!
Keep up the amazing work! You are quite a talented young lady!

ParaGoddess Press said...

Have I told you how incredibly proud I am of you? I am smiling from tip to tail right now. :)

Love and Hugs,
Mommy

Unknown said...

You seem to have a fantastic grasp. Please continue to do this. I enjoyed reading your blog.

janicenchapman said...

You have impressive reviews. Keep up the good work.

Cherry said...

Congratulations on your new blog! Found you through your mom's twit.

Although I am in great excess of ten years old, I enojoyed reading Beautiful Creatures! Looking forward to reading the sequel, Beautiful Darkness.

Great review! Keep up the good work!!