Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review - Rowan of the Wood


Rowan of the Wood, by Christine and Ethan Rose is the story of a twelve year old boy named Cullen. On the way to school everyday, he walks through a Redwood forest usually stopping to read there and get away from home. While in the forest, Cullen discovers something very interesting; a magic wand that a wizard named Rowan is trapped inside of. Once Cullen finds the wand, Rowan posesses Cullen. Fourteen Centuries ago, Fiana – Rowan's bride – and Rowan were seperated on their wedding day. Rowan went into hiding in the wand, and became stuck in time. During that time, Fiana used different magics to stay alive, enabling her to search for her lost husband. As she continued centuries of searching, Fiana became darker and darker, making her evil. Cullen/Rowan and his loyal friends, Maddy and April, help them in their adventures, Rowan emerging in times of need for him.


Rowan of the Wood was a great book to read! Some of the chapters were so good, I went back and reread them! I thought that Cullen's friends were really cool also. I would definitely love to have them as friends! Everything that goes on in Rowan of the Wood is very interesting. The idea that the authors had about Rowan being trapped inside of the wand, I thought, was brilliant. I love the setting in the book, too. The Redwood forest sounds just so...intriguing. I enjoyed reading this book so much, that I finished it in a day. I couldn't stop reading it! I would recommend Rowan of the Wood to anyone ages eleven to fourteen.

My Rating: ✯✯✯✯✯

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey chica. I got chills just reading the blog. I could acctually see Cullen in the woods when he found the wand. Think Ill have to go to the books store later and see if the writer brings about the vivid sight when reading. I havent had a good book to share with the kids in a while...yay

Lisa Philpot